Thursday, July 30, 2009

Spiritual Retreat


Almost one week ago my wife and two youngest children (S4 & D3 if you need names) and my large carcass had an amazing, uplifting, "mountain top" experience at the Verizon Amphitheater in Irvine, California where we walked up and down steep hills in over 100 degree heat and watched from 3.30 pm until after 11 pm as six different artists or bands sang 4 - 6 songs apiece and one pastor from Compassion International spoke about giving and putting your faith into action. The six bands/artists were Francesca Battestelli, Needtobreathe, Matthew West, Phil Wickham, Jars of Clay, and MercyMe. Bob Lenz was very funny and yet very poignant with his message.
There is nothing like a Christian concert. As Bart, I have seen him twice now so I can call him Bart, the lead vocalist for MercyMe said, "Concerts are cool, hanging with folks you don't know with that 'We Are The World' vibe," there is really very little to distract one from a true and wholesome worship experience. I was so joy-filled (as was my wife) as we watched our 10 and 12 year old sing, listen, and really kick back and let the Holy Spirit flow through them in worship.
Matthew West sang "The Motions", which could be one of the greatest songs of all times, MercyMe sang "I Can Only Imagine", which IS one of the greatest, and gifted men and women sang many, many other songs on radio, CD, or iPod, but my wife and I talked about "Bring the Rain" by MercyMe is just the theme of our lives. If you know the song, and you know anything about my physically gorgeous and spiritually beautiful spouse, you know we have been through our share of trials, individually and collectively. The last verse truly sums it up for the Huntley family:

I am Yours regardless of

The clouds that may loom above

Because You are much greater than my pain

You who made a way for me

By suffering Your destiny

So tell me what’s a little rain

All the things that my wife has to endure because she is married to me, and the kids surgeries and life struggles, all of that seems to just hone her faith into something so strong and amazing. I have been working on my life, growing and changing for His betterment of me, working hard on not focusing on my failures but on God's future for me, and all the stuff we wade through daily seems insignificant.

The festival was a great blessing, and I am reminding myself while I share with you that I need to walk in faith and keep walking, and not be paralyzed with stupid fears and baggage of my past.

1 comment:

Billy said...

My daughter Tamila was there with here friends and loved it! If you ever get down to HB let me know. I would love to get together.