Thursday, February 22, 2007

Loving Learning and Life

I am a very lucky man. The adage is oh, so true: "It's better to be lucky than good." I was given another chance, could be the 100th, and my wonderful, beautiful, and intelligent wife has backed me up, supported me, and even prodded me at times toward this career I am working toward. The best metaphor of my life is a "trip tik" from AAA auto club. A map with the starting point, taking a specific road, to a destination.

I am traveling down an educational superhighway, California Baptist University, with my little stops every semester, and a big stop at the Bachelor of Arts degree, turning toward a classroom as yet unknown, teaching English, life, and anything else they need to a group of unusually ungrateful teenagers as my destination. I look back and see the paths I've taken until now, and while I had minimal successes, overall my life up to now was in the category of potential, not production. Luckily, man is given the ability to change. I now have just one more year until I can realize a personal dream of a career, not just a job, or a dream.

It has been quite a journey to figure out what I could do, put my energy into it, and actually complete the task. Ministry was my idea, as all the roadblocks to success have proven. In fact, hindsight has shown me that once I dropped the idea of full time Christian ministry, the peace that captured me and the ability to move on in my life helped me out of the pit I was in. Never have I felt so free, so vital, and so important as when I was working toward this teaching credential.

No comments: