Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sports Movies


"When this old world starts getting me down ..." I don't go to the roof - I watch a movie. Recently I conducted a very unscientific poll of astute men and women who are my personal Facebook friends. I inquired about the three best sports movies ever. A sampling of several (17 out of the over 400 to be exact) shows that the favorite movie is The Natural. Twenty Four different movies were selected, and baseball was the overwhelming favorite sport of the movies, but maybe that is because so many more baseball movies exist compared to the other sports.

What conclusions can we draw? At most two. First, I don't like The Natural so I am not a popularity kind-of-guy. Also, I am in to the more obscure sports movies and not the popular ones. I just thought I would preface this little rant with a true fact from my life.

I am excited about this football season. I have goose bumps thinking that this year's World Series may go seven games. Every hockey club in the NHL has the hope of this year being their year. I love sports. I love movies. I love to laugh.  The merging of these three loves brings me to the doorstep of Caddyshack, Bull Durham, and Slapshot. The Sandlot, A League of Their Own, and Necessary Roughness are also movies that make laughter instead of drama.

If I need a little inspiration, Remember The Titans, is on my watch list, along with Rocky, Miracle, and Invincible. If I am feeling sentimental, The Greatest Game Ever Played, Hoosiers, and The Blind Side are in my DVD player.

The absolute favorite DVD of mine is the Denver Broncos Anthology 2 Disc history of the Broncos from 1960 through Elway's retirement. Listening to Bob Martin, Larry Zimmer, and Dave Logan recount the NFL franchise from it's most inept until it's Super Bowl victories.

At my house, if I am watching a Sports movie or a Western, there is plenty of room on the couch to watch with me, because I am the only one watching.

No comments: